Friday, February 10, 2012

Do we learn from our experiences ?

Steve I would like to write a post in your blog because what I have to write doesn't fit my own blogs. There is no lovely photo behind this little story…

It's a story about the lessons we don't learn, and right now…to be honest, quite a painful one.
Steve and I went out today
into quite a messy sea. No real waves to surf, western wind that was getting stronger while we were out. All the real fun J
 I took my sunglasses, camera and fleece hat. All the gear that could have stayed behind on a day like that. While trying to get some surfing done I saw that the constant worry about my glasses and camera was  stopping me from having fun. In my new pfd there is no pocket to put away stuff like that. Then I saw  the 'Yossis' standing on the beach photographing us, so I took a big wave down and approached to give the stuff to them.
While on the sand, a small wave came and was going to put my kayak on a nasty stone. Being a nice Carbon tempest I was trying to protect it by pushing it, hand placed on the stone. WRONG INSTINCT!!! The result is maybe a smaller scratch then expected on the kayak. But a painful hand. While trying to recover and paddle back in I couldn't feel my finger at all. However- there was something else that I could feel very strongly- the feeling of being stupid!!!
Only 3 months ago, during a week paddling around the Islands of Lopud, Sipan and Mljet in Croatia, I was trying to land in a rocky area as all beaches on these islands are. The sea was a bit of a mess and I found myself sitting on a small stone on the way to the beach. I was trying to recover by waiting for another small wave and pushing the kayak with my hand. The result was almost a broken finger, like today. Had it been broken that day, that would have meant the end of my trip. Had this one broken today, that would have meant a cancelation of the next trip to Croatia.
I have 3 conclusions from today:
-1-  Do not take unnecessary equipment into a messy sea if you don't have a way to protect it. The worry about it will drive you crazy.
-2 – If you have a lesson to learn from an incident- LEARN it and use what you learned next time.
-3- Never ever place your hand under your kayak to push it away from a rock. A broken finger takes longer to heal compared to a broken kayak!!!



Other than that- it was another lovely morning!!!

No comments: