Friday, September 5, 2008

 

Open letter to the president of Olympus Cameras.
Dear President,
I am writing to let you know of my dissapointment with your so called waterproof cameras.
I bought my first Olympus Mu 760 about 8 or 9 months ago , with the full confidence that it would be the answer to my prayers for photography while seakayaking. At first I was satisfied, and the camera performed very well, but unfortunately after 2 months it began to malfunction and then stopped working altogether. The waterproof seals had not prevented moisture getting inside and corroding the electronic bits. The camera was replaced after a long wrangle with the supplier, and the new one was great in the beginning too. Yesterday while filming on the water the camera stopped working and when I got onto dry land and opened up the battery chamber I found it was wet and there was water all over. the card was ruined and non repairable. I dried out the innards with a hairdryer and so far the camera works but now I have to get a new card and have lost all confidence in the waterproof capacity of the camera.
I would like to offer my services as a tester for all your new waterproof products as it seems as though your current products do not stand up to wet conditions in a reliable way.
Please send any cameras that you would like to test to me and in a few short months I will let you know just how good or bad they are.
Yours faithfully
Steve Gordon
Seakayaker with a camera
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

hadas said...

GADOLֱֱֱֱֱֱ

Unknown said...

Sorry for the melfunction in the camera, honored to be in such distinguished group...

unfotunally i sufferd exactly the same damage in my mju-770sw. same as you Steve, I was very disappointed with Olympus reaction, that said somthing like "your camera suffered liquid damage so the warrany will not apply". That was not the respond by the local distributer (Aloda, an issue for a post itself - disgraceful), but the answer of the Olympus HQ representative.
I am sorry. I will not buy any Olympus camera no more (eventhough i realy liked the outcome...). Not "waterproof" and not any other. There are other cameras that provide very good results as well. Personaly I am going to check the "Optio w60" by Pentax, as soon as it get to Israel.

Barak

Anonymous said...

your are the 1,sorry for and for barak. but as i offer you last year-try pentax they are the best for us-kayakers with cam's (i sure about it after almost 5 years with the wr\wp models)

Anonymous said...

sorry for you
i know-since 2003 only one brand works for us-paddlers with cam-Pentax
hope sea(see) you soon
rony

Unknown said...

Hi Rony, I have just bought the Pentax Optio w30, sounds good

Anonymous said...

Hi have you tried the "Digital Hero 2" ive owned one for 8 months its very basic no screen only 3 mega pixels for pictures but video quality is great it takes 56 minutes of video onto a 2 g.b. sd card.Best of all its totally waterproof ! see the results on youtube under, H202 .by the way like your blog.Keep rolling.